SEN Information Report

Co-Produced with Parents

5th December 2017

We are a fully inclusive mainstream school and we strive to ensure that all pupils achieve their potential personally, socially, emotionally and academically in all areas of the curriculum (regardless of their gender, ethnicity, social background, religion, sexual identity, physical ability or educational needs). This document is intended to give you information regarding the ways in which we ensure we support all of our pupils, including those with SEND, in order that they can realise their full potential. It may not list every skill, resource and technique we employ in order to achieve this as these are continually developed and used to modify our provision to meet the changing requirements for individual pupils.

Do you have children with SEND in your school?

We are a mainstream school and the majority of our pupils are expected to reach the learning goals for their age. A small number of our pupils do have special educational needs. Children are identified as having SEN when their progress has slowed or stopped and the interventions, resources etc. we normally put in place do not enable improvement. We have specific plans and pupil records which help support children’s development and speed up their progress.

What kinds of SEND do those children have?

Typically, children with SEN in our school have difficulties with speaking and language, learning generally (especially reading and/or writing), social or emotional development, and sensory difficulties with sight or hearing.

How do you know if a pupil has SEN?

Our school closely monitors the progress made by all the children and teachers ask advice from the SENCo as soon as they have concerns about any pupil. The SENCo helps class teachers to plan activities such as small group work or special programmes to help the child. If these activities don’t help the child to make good progress, the SENCo might suggest other programmes or temporary additional support. If the child still does not make good progress the SENCo and class teacher will meet with parents/carers and together agree that additional SEN support will be put in place and ask for advice or assessment from an external specialist service.

How will I know if my child is receiving SEN support?

As soon as your child’s SEN has been identified we will contact you and invite you to come into school to discuss plans to help him or her make better progress.

Where can I find information about the school SEN Policy?

Our SEN Policy will give you the information you need about how we make provision for all pupils with SEN.

If you would like to discuss our SEN provision or find out more, please contact our SENCo.

How do you make sure that the SEN support is helping pupils make better progress?

Please click on link to curriculum expectations / overview on the left hand side of the page.

How will I know that my child is making progress?

Information will be available to parents about their child’s progress, once a term during a verbal meeting and annually in a written report.

How do you check and review the progress made by pupils with SEN?

Progress for all children is checked and reviewed termly.  If children are taking part in specific intervention programmes, their progress will check at the end of the programme.

How will I be involved in those reviews? Who else will be there?

Meetings/reviews with parents of pupils with SEN will be held termly.

During these meetings the following will be discussed:

  • Your child’s progress
  • You and your child’s aspirations for the future
  • New outcomes will be agreed and any actions set

The meetings will usually be between the parents/carers & the class teacher, sometimes the SENCo and other professionals working with your child might also attend if appropriate.

Parents can ask SENDIASS (SEND Information, Advice and Support Service) to help them to prepare for or accompany them to the review meeting.

How do your teachers help pupils with learning difficulties or disabilities to learn, including what they learn?

The school will have the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in the school. All teaching is based on building on what your child already knows, can do and can understand. Your child’s teacher/s will put in place different ways of teaching so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning or providing different resources adapted for your child. Your child’s teacher will also put in place specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENCo or staff from outside agencies) to enable your child to access the learning task. All children in school receive this.

Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on his or her progress to monitor if your child has gaps in his or her understanding/learning and needs some extra support in order to close the gap between your child and their peers. He/ She will plan group sessions for your child with targets to help your child to make more progress. These group activities might be led by either a teacher or a teaching assistant working to plans made by the class teacher.

How can I find out more about what my child is learning at the moment?

Your child’s class teacher can give you more information about what the class is learning at the moment and how he/she is helping your child to make good progress. There is more information about the school curriculum on the curriculum section of the website.

How have you made the school buildings and site safe and welcoming for pupils with SEN or disabilities?

Our site is all on one level making it accessible for wheel chair users, and all doors (except for ICT suite) are wide enough for wheelchairs.  In addition, we have a buddy bench system on the playground operated by trained ‘playground pals’; each class has a withdrawal area at the side of the classroom for any intervention work and we have a learning mentor providing pastoral support to vulnerable children and families.

Is there any extra support available to help pupils with SEND with their learning? How will I know if my child is getting extra support?

At Cannon Park, we currently have some teachers and teaching assistants trained in the following support programmes:

  • 1st Class at Number
  • Numbers Count
  • Reading Recovery
  • Team teach
  • Rapid Phonics
  • Boosting Reading Potential
  • Success @ Arithmetic

The class teacher will advise you if your child is involved in any of these programmes.

We also have many volunteers who regularly listen to readers in several classes.

What social, before and after school and other activities are available for pupils with SEND?

A wide range of extra-curricular are currently offered, for example:

  • Football Club
  • Choir
  • Sugar craft Club
  • Gardening Club
  • Dance Club
  • Minecraft Club
  • Cricket Club
  • Book Club

These clubs are available to all children, within specific age-ranges depending on the activity.  If you would like your child to participate in any of these clubs, please contact the school office for my details.

How does your school support pupils’ emotional and social development?

The pastoral care of all children at Cannon Park is the responsibility of every member of staff at the school.  In addition, we have a Learning Mentor with specific responsibility for looking after vulnerable children and families.  Also, we have a playground pals system and sports leaders in operation at playtimes and each class has a designated Lunchtime Supervisor, who passes on information, if necessary, to the class teacher at the end of lunchtime.

For children with specific social, mental or emotional health difficulties we work with the Educational Psychology Service and CAMHS.

Who should I contact if I want to find out more about how the school supports pupils with SEND?

Please contact the school SENCo, Mr Steve Kelley.  

How are the adults in school helped to work with children with an SEND and what training have they had?

The school has a school development plan that includes identified training needs for all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children including those with SEND. This may include whole school training on SEND issues or to support identified groups of learners in school, such as autism, dyslexia, etc.  In addition, whole staff training to share knowledge, strategies and experience, & ensure consistency of the school’s approach for children with an SEND.

Teachers and support staff attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their class e.g .from SEMH&L, or medical /health training to support staff in implementing care plans.

If you would like to hear about current or past training undertaken by school staff, please speak to the Headteacher or SENCo.

The SENCo and teacher work closely with specialists from external support services who may provide advice or direct support as appropriate.

What happens if my child needs specialist equipment or other facilities?

The school will liaise with relevant health specialists and will endeavor to provide any recommended equipment, auxiliary aid or service.

How will I be involved with planning for and supporting my child’s learning?

The school operate an ‘open door’ policy and encourage parents/carers to speak with teachers either before or after school, whenever they feel the need.  Additionally, a more formal review meeting will be held termly and a written report will be provided annually.

Who will help me to support him/her at home?

Information about any training for parents either in school, in other schools locally or from parent groups to help them support their child’s learning at home will be signposted to parents as appropriate, often via email, letter or notice boards around the school.

How is my child involved in his /her own learning and decisions made about his /her education?

The school operates a successful school council system with school councillors (some with SEND) allocated to each class, allowing each pupil in the school a voice about the running of the school.  Pupils with SEND will be involved in their own reviews, but the level and nature of this involvement will depend on their age and ability.  Furthermore, all children will receive regular feedback from teachers and teaching assistants following their day-to-day classroom work.  Also, children will also be encouraged to self-assess their own work against specific ‘success criteria’.

Who should I contact if I’m not happy with my child’s learning and / or progress?

Your first step should be to speak directly to your child’s class teacher or SENCo. If that isn’t resolved by the teacher or SENCo you can then ask for a meeting with the headteacher. If this still doesn’t resolve your complaint you can follow the school’s complaint procedure.

Who else provides services in school for children with SEN or disabilities?

The following external services support pupils with SEND:

       Cognition & Learning

    • Social, Emotional, Mental Health & Learning Support Service (SEMH&L)
    • Educational Psychology Service (EPS)
  • Communication & Interaction 
    • Speech & Language Therapy (SLT)
    • Complex Communication Team (CTT)
    • SEMH&L

  • Social, Mental & Emotional

    • Advice from EPS
    • Advice from SEMH&L
    • Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS)

Sensory & Physical

  • Physiotherapy service
  • Occupational Therapy service
  • Advice / input from Sensory Support Service

How can my family get support from these services?

Working directly with parents/families should they need support:

  • SENDIASS (SEND Information, Advice & Support Service

Who should I contact to find out about other support for parents and families of children with SEN or disabilities?

SENDIASS (SEND Information, Advice & Support Service)

Open Mon - Thurs 9.00am - 5.00pm. Fri - 9.00am - 4.30 pm

Limbrick Wood Centre, Thomas Naul Croft, Tile Hill, Coventry, CV4 9QX


Tel: 024 7669 4307

Fax: 024 7669 5627


Please click here for details of other parental support groups

How will you help my child make successful move into the next class or secondary school or other move or transition?

Towards the end of the summer term each year group will visit their new classroom and spend the day with their new teacher.  In addition, the current and new teachers meet to share information about the pupils in the new class.  Pupils with SEND might visit their classroom more often or be provided with a booklet of information about the new class to take home over the summer holidays, for parents to discuss with them.

Additional support is available for pupils with SEN to help them to make a successful transition to secondary school.  For example, the Year 6 teacher and the Head of Year 7 from the secondary school will meet to share information, often the SENCos of the two schools will also have a discussion to share information and special visits, for children with SEND, to the new secondary school can also be arranged.  

Where can I find out about other services that might be available for our family and my child?

The Coventry Local Offer website has information about the services that are available. Click here to go to and view the Coventry Local Offer (available from September 2014).


Other helpful resources:

Please click here for answers to Frequently Asked Questions

The language used can often be confusing, click here for a glossary of terms and an acronym buster.